Saturday, April 16, 2011

North Gate Peaks

Today I went up to the Kolob platue in Zions canyon. This area is nice to hike in because there isnt as much foot traffic and there are some excellent view points from some of the trails on the top part of Zion Canyon.
 I followed a trail called the Wildcat trail. This trail leads to a great view of the North Gate Peaks. The spring runoff is running very high so the stream are moving much faster than normal.
 There were signs of the local elk herd all around and I was hoping to spot them so thay I could get some shots of them. The last of the snow had melted up here over the last few weeks so the ground is wet and muddy in some places.
The hike was nice and there were not more than a few othere people out. I made it to the overlook in about an hour and a half and I spent an hour taking pictures. As I was hiking out the mule deer began coming out to graze as the sun was going down. Some storm clouds began to move in and there was a drizzle of rain.
 As I was driving away from the parking area for the wildcat trail I saw the herd of elk that I had been looking for. They were standing in a clearing and there were about thirty of them. The sun had gone down a while before so it was too dark for me to get any pictures of them but it was nice to get to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment