Saturday, June 11, 2011

Air Rescue in Zion Canyon

After debating on what to do next we decided to send part of the group back out the way we came in with my cell phone to call the rangers and Sylvia was carrying a satelite signal called a Spot that is used in emergency situations to get help and they activated that.  Amanda, Sylvia and Jims daughter, took over and wrapped my foot with an ace bandage that she had and she took care of me as we were seperated from the rest of the group who were up on the rock.
It was about 10:30am when all this happened and about an hour and a half later we heard a helicopter. The helicopter came in and hovered around for a while and then flew away. It was a good thing I was with my friends as they kept my mind off of my foot and we entertained each other. I was lucky because the temperatures outside were perfect and the area where I was laying was nice and sandy with a pool of ice cold water for me to soak my foot in. The helicopter came back again and as before it flew away. The third time was a charm and two of the rescue team came down and let us know that they were going to be getting me ready to lift out of the canyon but they were going to have to cut down a large pine tree that was preventing the helicopter from lifting me out safely. Apparently rescues in this area had been hampered in the past from the tree and they decided to remove it. As the medic Craig got me preped and we moved into some rock cover. The other guys started cutting the tree down. When Craig got the harness out for me to sit in he informed me that the seat is called the screamer. At that point it was apparent to me that not everyone enjoys hanging from a rope under a helicopter. At first the chopper was going to lift me from the spot where I was laying but after a failed attempt there they decided they were going to have to get me up on top of the rock I had come down to get me to a safer spot to lift from. The guys rigged up some gear and I had to climb up onto the rock with one foot and several guys pulling from the top and one Craig helping from below.
It was a bear climbing out but we did it. At that point Will, the second guy from our rescue team let me know that he would be flying out with me and gave me the instructions for what was going to happen.
The helicopter came in and we hooked our harnesses to the rope hanging down off of the helicopter and away we went. I was really bummed out that I couldnt take my camera and I didnt think anyone would get a shot of the chopper lifting us out but I was pleasantly surprised to find out later that Amanda had hiked up to the side of the canyon and had video taped the rescue.
 The flight through the canyon was amazing and I was able to see parts of Zion from an angle that I will probably never see again.
 We landed at the temporary rescue point where an ambulance was to pick me up. After they got me all unhooked I was able to meet the pilot and to thank all of the people who had helped. They were all great and we are lucky to have people like that out there to help us.
 It was now 7pm and by the time the ambulance got there I was really starting to wear down. It had been a long day and I still had to go to the hospital where I found out I had broken the heel of my foot and I would probably need surgery.  Another adventure to add to my list.

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS my friend!!! Let me be the first to post a comment on this really cool BLOG!!! You GO man!!! (you would have to hurt yourself in Zion on my 60th birthday ...) ;)

    ReplyDelete